Monday, December 1, 2008

To Mel Guymon from Nova

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:06:11 -0800 (PST)


To
Mel Guymon
Head of 3D Operations
Google Inc.

Dear Mr. Guymon,
Since my introduction to Lively and 3d chat I have undergone a chrysallis of sorts. Indeed, many people have, but my own and that of BlackSheep seem particularly of interest. Let me explain.

I suffer from clincial depression, and have for much of my life. This lead to a stunting of my social skills that left me an outsider. I have trouble reading ordinary social situations and lack the skills to cope with dealing with strangers in real life. This has made my life awkward and my ability to form new, lasting bonds frustrating. Similarly, some monthes into Lively I encountered a man who quickly became a fast friend; BlackSheep. Black is charming, in an old world manner, well spoken and rather charismatic. So it came as quite a shock when I found out that he suffers from the rare asoergers syndrome. Aspergers, quite briefly, is an extremely rare form of autism that is marked by an extremely intelligent individual who is, unfortunately, almost completely unable to come across in life in any meaningful way that does not cause people to keep him at arms length. I am a student of psychology, and some years away from my degree. My meds enable me to keep from doing anything drastic, but before Lively I was a miserable loner. Since Lively I have been astonished to find myself something I have never been before, save for short periods of time: popular. I have formed within these digital walls lasting bonds, friendships and deeper relationships still. Similarly, so has Black. I feel that shutting down Lively would be a sin. If I had the influence, I would be recommending a psychological study of 3d chat to see if it does somehow allow those who suffer from social anxiety disorders to function with some normalcy, and if there is any way to develope therapy methods to transfer these skills to real life. That, succintly, is my plead to google to find an alternative to simply shutting Lively down and letting it collect digital dust.

No comments: