Monday, December 1, 2008

To Mel Guymon from Finola

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 15:43:43 -0800 (PST)


To:
Mr. Mel Guymon
Head of 3D Operations
Google Inc.

Dear Mr. Guymon,

I joined Lively after seeing it in a news byte at work. That was the only time I heard about Lively and honestly the only time I heard it advertised even to this day. At first I thought it might be fun to see how a cartoon chat would be since my emoticon at work seemed so limited and instantly I was "addicted". I was submerged into a new world full of interesting rooms and people. Although the initial encounters sprinkled with immature or meat market minded people, after time I realized there were an eclectic group of people all around the world, I soon developed deep lifelong friendships with many of the people here. Friendships that would never have happened had it not been for lively as I am not one for chat rooms. From my experience, lively was far superior to the over hyped second life and attracted people of high caliber and diverse backgrounds. I was amazed at how it had opened me up to the world and I was able to speak french to real people in France. I was able to create a room easily to symbolize my oasis from real life... and enjoy conversations, dancing, and good memories. These rooms took a lot of love and effort and I will be very sad to lose them. Please visit them "Starry Seaside Escape" and "Findom Night" to see what I mean.

Lively is a home for many here. In this home, I have found myself also. For so long I have felt like I was just living my life and routine. In this Lively world, I was able to express myself and be truly who I was with no fear of biases. I was able to connect with people from all over the world and share interests, sorrows, joys and celebrations. In a strange way we all became family. I have seen people blossom and show their talents. Almost every soul I met on lively has had this unique creative side that resulted into a wonderful positive force propagating to the next individual they connected with whether it is artwork, poems, stories or humanitarian groups. To shut down lively without giving it a chance is contrary to the spirit of google and what it symbolizes: HOPE, CREATIVITY, HUMANITY, INNOVATION, INTEGRITY. I can truly say that lively and the people I have met here has CHANGED my life forever. I can see how a business decision comes down to money, but there is a human side to this decision and the fact that Lively was never advertised as it should have been or developed the the full potential to compete with other virtual environments which would have generated profits in so many ways. Please reconsider shutting it down and give us a chance to come up with solutions. Thank you for your time and please contact me if you have any questions. I do work IT and understand also there are always solutions that can be explored.

Sincerely,
Finola @[email address]

No comments: